The earliest historical evidence in the Gastounis mentioning at the azo period (2000 BC). In historical times the Gastoyni appears in Roman and later Byzantine era. During the period before the revolution of 1821, the city had become an important center with 20,000 inhabitants and was the capital of the surrounding agricultural area.
At this time there was already a clear division of space. In the current center inhabited notables (landowners), while workers in tsifilikia lived in the Catholic district.
The most famous of megalotsiflikas Gastounis was Sisinis C., Kolokotronis friend and member of the Society of Friends in 1819, the mansion which is maintained today, although in poor condition, opposite the church of St. Nicholas.
Many were the two-stoney houses in the 18th and 19th century, since the place was rich. Material was the stone that went from Ancient Elis and Kalabryta. The main road was along the arcades (now survives such a house with gallery). Here was the location of commercial activities and festivals. Finally, there is a historic monument, the church of the Catholic, from 11th century .
Although Gastoyni inhabited at least since the Byzantine era, as shown by the evidence, though the residential potential has not kept visible signs of previous periods. Only the Byzantine church of Panagia Catholic, dating from the 12th AD century is a remarkable piece of architecture and art. There are also a few vestiges of the same period as the house Spiliopoulos, which remain as undeveloped and is mainly buildings arising from the period of industrial prosperity of the region.
Today Gastoyni retains the traditional agro-pastoral character which had always remained the center of a wider area.
The attraction and axis development of tourism in the region is the archaeological site and the theater of Ancient Elis.
This is one of the most important monuments of the ancient Greek culture, which has incomparable advantages and unparalleled potential for exploitation, which can influence and make the difference, not only for the socio-economic life and cultural life of the region, but the entire county.
Also large potential tourism development brings the coastal zone of the municipality, which combines great sandy beaches, pine forests and coastal aesthetic.
The region also has important monuments. Most importantly, the Virgin Catholic, Byzantine Church in the city of Gastounis, preserved in good condition.
The area of the municipality Bartholomio, is a rapidly growing tourist area that's constant interference that promotes, attracts increasingly more and more visitors.
The tourist area is evolving rapidly as it contains rich tourist resources, such as archaeological sites, monuments, areas of outstanding natural beauty, combined with the mythological and historical figures of the area etc.
The tourist assets of this region is highly diverse and can effectively support the interests of the user, so during the summer, and during the winter season.
Examples include the following:
- The archaeological site and museum of ancient Elis.
- The Venetian Castle "Chlemoutsi."
- The spas and hydrotherapy of Kyllinis.
- The picturesque coastal village 'Bear'
- The camp center "Ionian Village" Archdiocese of North America.
- The extensive sandy beaches.
- The historic monastery of Panagia Merciful.
The area of Bartholomio has a significant potential tourist accommodation namely 14 hotel units, different categories, total capacity 345 rooms and 650 beds. These figures correspond to 17.5% of hotel units Ilia, at 8.8% of the rooms and in 8.3% of beds.
Almost the entire hotel capacity in the region is concentrated in MD Lygia, while only four classic type hotel units located in MD Bartholomio. In hotels dominate classical formula (9 points), while there are also two hotels and three hotels and apartments.