The area of the municipality of Skillountos has rich historical past starting from Homeric times and reaches the younger times. the Skillountia, the Frixa, Samiko, Aipy, there were cities in the region which existed during ancient times. In Skillountia Xenophon lived twenty years and wrote most of his works, including "Anabasis". The archaeological sites of the area, have not been tapped and relied upon to the extent they should, but neither has completed their excavation and archaeological investigation. The area of the municipality of Skillountos and main coastal zone brings together important tourist exploitation capabilities.
This zone combines a great ecosystem and natural wealth, which includes: The coastal pine forest of strofilia long sandy beaches along the forest but apart from the above, the area has the comparative advantage of direct proximity, on the other hand with the Ancient Olympia and then with the Kaiafa spas, important areas and many tourist attraction, who clearly can positively affect the region's tourist traffic.
In the mythical times or under study area was part of the Parrasias and Aipias countries. The name of Parrasias came from the mythical King Parrasio, brother of Arkados and son of Zeus and Kallistis. In Parrasis cities prospered Parrhasia, Alifeira, Lykoa, Theisoa and Gortys, which pull the name from mythical persons, Alifeiro, Parrasio, Lycaon, Theisoa. More all flourished the Acropolis Alifeira, promykinaϊkis, ruins on the Hill, despite the current settlement.
The edge of the area continues and at the time of the Persian wars. Residents of Figaleia erected the flourishing idiaiteras 430 BC. at Vasses, on the mount Kotylio, the famous Temple of Apollo Epikourios, a work of the artist, in honor of Apollo Bassitoy. This church, is one of the most important monuments of ancient Greece and one of the best retained. Particularly noteworthy is the floor plan of the Temple because of its peculiarity and innovations, which were introduced in the Doric style.
Above the sanctuary between two loxwn Antis was Corinthian, kiwn, the first of its kind, whose looks and today the place. Of great artistic value i.e. the zwoforos of anaparistane Temple, the Centaurs and the Lapiths battles – Thiseos-Amazons, whose bas-relief found in the British Museum. During the Hellenistic and Roman times in 371 BC, Epaminondas had founded the Megalopolis, this moved a significant number of residents from Alifeira the Theisoa and the wider region, therefore, were transferred there and the celebrations of Lykaiwn.
The Lykaiwn celebrations were held in honor of Zeus and according to Pausanias was earlier celebrations of Greeks after the eleusinian. In Byzantine times the area grow again as evidenced by the number of settlements, which were built during this era. From the Byzantine Lord Lavda built the Byzantine city Lavda, current Theisoa, which in 1205 became a Kastelli of Baron of Karytaina.
Historical monuments of the region preserved until today are the castles of Theisoa and Linistainas and the Roman baths in Dafnoula which lie within the limits of the city. Most important city of the region was the Lantern, established Patriarchal Exarchate and Administration and commercial centre with highly developed agriculture and textile crafts. It took its name and its eponymous province.
The Village first appears in the early 13th century. It was built on the ruins of an ancient city, in others of ancient Theisoa, in others of Parrasias. Ktisews of time is unknown, and the etymology of the name. Traditionally the area is due to the name of the widow of a pastor Andritsos, which kept Hani in the area (Hani of andritsaina).
The area was occupied by the Turks in 1715. During the Turkish occupation the Village grew into an important commercial and cultural center with notable Greek Seminary. Under the feudal system was maintained, which prevailed during the Byzantine period, despite the Turkish law, which forbade the serfdom. Landowners were not only Greeks and Turks, but notable, of which the first were the "Mwragiannides" appointed by the Sultan. In the District of Phanar great owners were the Moschoyles from the Agoylinitsa and Christopoyloi and Zareifopoyloi from andritsaina.
The status of «tsiflikiwn» persisted after liberation. Many families of andritsaina possessed vast lands, which they acquired with purchase of metoikoyntes Turks. However, consistency of the Andritsena gathered wealth are today surviving «mansions» anegerthenta after the release and prosdidonta in the village strong picturesque quality and attractive architectural character. In 1769 the inhabitants of the region took part in the revolution of Orlof under the command of Anastasi Christou, causing it to burn the city of andritsaina and faculty by the Arvanites. The city, and the school was built again in 1783.
During the revolution of 1821, many residents of the area were distinguished, including Polychronis Tzanetos Papanastasopoylos, Kanellos, the brothers Zareifopoyloi etc In Agia Varvara Church near the library, was blessed on 27 March 1821 the flag of Revolution. Active part taken and the villages of Matesi, Karmi, Robia, Kotylio, as well as the villages of Lycia. In the vicinity of Kotylioy and in the Straits of Ag. Athanasiou conducted one of the first battles of kolokotronis on 28 March 1821. In 1821, the Greeks occupied the lighthouse, but the Turks swept through ekdikoymenoi, which resulted in the disappearance of the Byzantine buildings. In 1826, andritsaina was burned for the second time under Ibrahim's passing.
After the revolution of 1840 the scholar k. Nikolopoulos, who resided in Paris, dwrise in the school of Andritsaina library, which includes rare editions of the 16th century, as well as file of the struggle. Reference is also remarkable high school of andritsaina 5th in order of establishment of the modern Greek State. Andritsaina is home of ex-leaders of Filiki Eteria Panagiotis Anagnostopoulos and Nick Dimitrakopoulou.