Pyrgos, Prefecture capital and largest city of Elis, is a growing city, with a population of 23,791 inhabitants and is an important agricultural and administrative center of the western Peloponnese. The current city is built on the site of the ancient city Dyspontio. Until the 1980s called township Letrina (from the ancient city Letrina, located on the outskirts of Pyrgos). The name Pyrgos due to a strong tower that was built in 1512 Bey area Tsernotas George, who came from the village of Kalavryton in Eparcheion Hill, one of the seven knoll on which the town was built. The tower was destroyed in 1825.
Tradition says that in a well that did found a great treasure. After being wealthy, wanted to acquire a title of nobility. Sent to the Sultan Selim I (around 1512) a part of the treasure, which was indeed large, so the sultan named him bey. The Tsernotas got permission and built Pyrgos, which was the core of the settlement that became the modern city. On the outskirts of Pyrgos was the ancient city Letrina, where he had taken and the name of the Municipality as Letrina until the 1980s. During the Venetian, Pyrgos was a stopover for passing traders who went to Zante. Various sources refer to the city of 5000 inhabitants.
With the descent of the Lala prevailed definitively the place name Pyrgos. Never before in 1778, and where official documents, the story does not mention the name Pyrgos. During the Ottoman period the city had special treatment because of the tax privileges which had managed to win the provost George Avgerinos. The city of Pyrgos had great importance for the Turks because they used different Greek interpreters to develop their commercial activities. Early settlers referred to the Acholaioi and Vilaetaioi, whose descendant was the chieftain of the Tower Vilaetis Harry, along with residents first declared war against the Turks and hoisted the Greek flag.
During the Revolution of 1821 Pyrgos played an important role thanks to the contribution of the inhabitants of the race. The area has seen many battles while the city was destroyed in 1825 by the army of Ibrahim.
After the liberation of Greece begins a significant boom period for Pyrgos. The city reorganized and well located at the crossroads of the provinces of Elis, Olympia and Gortynias becomes the transportation, commercial and administrative center of the region. In the rapid development of the dominant role played by the production of dried products was the main product of the region in 1870 counted 9,000 residents. In the economic development of the city and helped the railway line that connected it to the port of Katakolon and which was the first train line in Greece outside Attica, and the second nationwide. The development of raisins were so great that the government introduced taxman office tower in the city while gradually settled consulates of Italy, Norway, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria-Hungary, the USA and France. At the same time operate factories and crafts, made large exports and imports European species.
Expression of this world is the emergence and evolution of the urban landscape. Ornate hall, neoclassical market, the Apollo Theatre, neoclassical houses with statues and painted ceilings, fountains, resplendent temples, a municipal hospital, and vibrant cultural life. Artistic, literary and sports associations, clubs, music school and philharmonic, theater performances and concerts testify cultural bloom.